Friday, July 20, 2007

Blogging toward the future...

Twenty-seven days until we're back in the U.S.A., at which point this blog will have served its purpose. I've enjoyed blogging, though, and I'm considering whether to start a new blog once I'm settled back in Northfield. So, my legions of loyal readers, help me out with this:

(1) Should I continue to blog after the sabbatical ends?
(2) Should I stay here at Blogger, or follow the shifting tide over to Wordpress? To help you decide, this exact blog entry can also be found here, on the Wordpress platform. I've liked Blogger and have found it easy to use. Does anyone have a good word to put in for Wordpress?

Please, leave a comment to help me decide. Meanwhile, this blog will roll along for two or three more weeks. There's still an upcoming trip to Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Chichester to tell you about...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well let me be the first to say that I have really enjoyed your blog and your posts on LibraryThing, so I think you should certainly carry on writing. I stumbled across this poem on MaggieO's profile page over at LT:

Against Entropy

The worm drives helically through the wood
And does not know the dust left in the bore
Once made the table integral and good;
And suddenly the crystal hits the floor.
Electrons find their paths in subtle ways,
A massless eddy in a trail of smoke;
The names of lovers, light of other days—
Perhaps you will not miss them. That’s the joke.
The universe winds down. That’s how it’s made.
But memory is everything to lose;
Although some of the colors have to fade,
Do not believe you’ll get the chance to choose.
Regret, by definition, comes too late;
Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate.

—John M. Ford

which beautifully expresses what I am trying to say. You obviously have a love of the arts and a wonderful writing style and I believe it would be a shame not to share that. As for whether to use wordpress - I can only say that I use blogger and am happy with it and it's free.

Louise

ps Hope you all enjoy Stonehenge, now I'm thinking about that quote from Ulysses about the druidy druids!

Jason Mittell said...

Rob - I much prefer WordPress to Blogger. The guts of WP are great & easy to use, and the commenting mechanics are easier I believe. Plus lots of designs, widgets, cool stuff. So my vote is for WP...